The Materials Science Institute of Madrid (ICMM) is part of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), being the largest centre in Spain devoted to Materials Science and Technology. The mission of ICMM is to generate new fundamental and applied knowledge on materials and processes with added value, and their transfer to the productive sectors. We are involved in the training of new professionals in this discipline, and in the dissemination of the scientific knowledge.
The ICMM activity is distributed in three major thematic areas:
- Materials for Digital Information, including those used in advanced electronics and photonics, and quantum materials.
- Materials for a sustainable world, which comprises the studies on environmental remediation and green processes and materials for energy applications.
- Materials for health, which tackles the use of nanoplatforms for therapy and diagnosis, as well as technologies and instrumentation for nanomedicine.
- Transport and Space
- Advanced manufacturing
- Modelling/simulation and Artificial Intelligence
- Circular economy of materials
- 2D materials
- Porous materials
- Quantum dots
- Quantum materials
- Photonic materials
- Development of materials and/or manufacturing processes
- Functional characterisation
- Simulation of materials